Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Inspiration and Reasoning

I was actually inspired to make this film entirely from a recent watching of "All Quiet on the Western Front" - specifcally the very last scene, as Paul lies dieing on the parapet of the trenches all for the sake of a butterfly. The first thought that crossed my mind was what a silly thing to die for it was, of course the point is that young men dieing in a war started by old men in a warm office somewhere is as equally a silly reason. Now I'm not trying to make such a large (and unfortunately in the 80 years since All Quiet somewhat overdone) statement with my film, but I do want to touch upon it.

I've also had an interest in World War II from my childhood, stemming from my fathers militaria collection of the period so I find it easy to get interested in the project.

<<>>

No comments: